Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Two New Paintings

The summer art season is over, here in Alaska. Painting new work continues all year at a liesurely pace. Since I have plenty of inventory for next summer, there is no need to push myself. These paintings are my latest efforts.


The top painting is a 16x20" acrylic called, Dinner is Served. It is a Peregrine mantling it's kill, an Upland Sandpiper. The setting is the open landscape of the Alaskan tundra. The inspiration for this painting came from a photograph of a Merlin on a pigeon that it killed in Anchorage. I did'nt take that photo. It was taken by a young woman, Amber, who works in the photography studio that professionally photographs my artwork. The photos of art on this blog are my own pathetic photos. Amber does much better work.
The bottom painting is an 8x10" acrylic called, Snipe, Snipe. I'm not real sure how likely it would be for someone to see two Snipe together like this. I've only seen them as single individuals. They come together for courtship in the early springtime. I just completed this painting about two hours ago. I like it well enough. As I have stated in other blog posts, I love to paint cryptic birds like sparrows, shorebirds, and female ducks. I also enjoy buildling up weedy fields, and grasses. They are majestic landscapes in miniature.

No comments: