A few weeks ago I posted this sketch of a Mule Deer in the Sagebrush. Since then I have been working on the painting whenever I could find some time. There were technical issues with it that I discussed in the earlier post. Mostly because I wanted to do a less conventional composition, but that seems to be beyond my limited imagination.
I had more enthusiasm for this one than I have had for most of my paintings in recent years. That does not mean that I did a better job than usual. These things seem to be beyond my conscious control.
I had a distinctive idea in my mind of how I wanted this painting to look. Right away I started facing challenges in trying to control the paint so that it would look the way I invisioned it as being. That problem is the norm with most of my attempts to paint. I know where I want to go with the paint, I just don't know how to get there.
This is the entire painting, 16x20". To me it does not look so very bad; it just does not look crisp and pristine the way I wanted it to look. The story of my life, I never get things the way I imagine, but I am grateful for the good things that I do achieve artistically. Once upon a time I would have been overjoyed to do a painting that looked like this.
My attitude may seem to be very sour and in this instance, that is intentional. I cannot improve if I am not ruthlessly critical of my own artwork. At least this one does not make me cringe..... yet.