Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Wednesday, December 20, 2017

Hibernation Interrupted

It has been a long time since I have posted anything. That is because I have done nothing interesting.
It is the dead of Winter and nothing is stirring around these parts. I have been hibernating.  Until a few days ago when someone reported seeing an odd bird in their yard near the Coastal Trail. An expert birder stopped by to see it and realized that it was a Sharp-tailed Grouse.
Sharp-tailed Grouse do occur in  Alaska, in the interior. Until now, none have ever been seen in Anchorage
I have never seen one. Today my friend Dan and I went over to see it. It has been hanging around that neighborhood for nearly a month. We arrived at the neighborhood and saw a group of birders focused on a Crabapple tree. There was the bird, in plain sight, right next to the road.
I got an easy lifer. Now I can go back to sleep.

2 comments:

John Holmes said...

Congrats on your lifer ! Reminds me of Hazel Grouse in trees in Asia !

Maggie said...

In loving memory of a great pal. December 2, 1955 - October 13, 2019. Free as a bird now.