Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Friday, July 1, 2011

More of Gary's Uganda Photos

From Mburo we ascended into the Rwenzori Mountains and entered the Bwindi Impenetrable Forest. An  enchanted place that conceals who knows what wonderful beasts.
One delightful inhabitant of the forest, Black and White Colobus Monkeys.
I'm not sure what species of sunbird this is. Probably a Variable Sunbird.
For many years I have wanted to see chameleons it their wild state. This is Gary's photo of the first wild chameleon I have seen. I cannot imagine a more impressive first chameleon than this tri-horned male.
It looks like a Jackson's Chameleon, but they are smaller, and less colorful. I seem to remember reading that Jackson's Chameleons only occur on the slopes of Mt. Kenya.

I never saw a female chameleon as colorful as this one. I'm jealous.

Gary's fine photo of a Mckinnon's Fiscal Shrike.
We saw a number of these beautiful, White-browed Robin Chats. None of the others were as cooperative as this individual.

From Bwindi we headed north, and lower in elevation to Queen Elizabeth National Park. The most famous feature of the park is the wildlife-packed Kazinga Channel. There are hordes of hippos.

I wish I had gotten a photo as nice as this.

The Kazinga Channel was the first place in Uganda where we started seeing elephants.
Only this elephant would face us in it's particular herd. The rest turned away from our boat.

A female Waterbuck.
A fine portrait of the world's largest heron, Goliath Heron.

An even better portrait of an African Fish Eagle.

No comments: