Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

A Black Bear on a Hot Day

Although we have had some nice, warm days this Summer, there have been no hot days yet. This is the title,(for now) of my latest painting, Black Bear on a Hot Day, 11x14".  I got the idea of a panting bear, cooling off in the refreshing mist of a cold, mountain waterfall.
There is a steep mountain nearby called Bear Mountain, it inspired the setting for this painting. I sure get tired of painting bears, but it's been awhile since I've done a bear painting, so it's time. They usually sell fast, but nowadays nothing sells all that fast. I'm surviving from licensing royalties of past artwork. It's meager wages for sure.
A detail photo.
This is another photo of a Savannah Sparrow on Mendeltna Creek.
Yet another view of a Savannah Sparrow.
Solitary Sandpiper tracks in the sand.
A bad photo of a Solitary Sandpiper, already in post breeding plummage.
There were a number of Cliff Swallows nesting under the bridge where the highway crosses the creek. Cliff Swallows are sparsely distributed around these parts, and they are only present for two months or less. They had a great abundance of mosquitos to feast upon at Mendeltna Creek.
I believe that this is some kind of Cinquefoil.
A poor hornet suspended in a spider web. I did not rescue it.

No comments: