Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Tuesday, July 24, 2012

The New One

This is an old photo of a Pygmy Nuthatch that I shot in Lakeside, Arizona back in the 1980's. It is the basis for my new painting.

The most obvious alteration that I made was to change the species. It is now a Red-breasted Nuthatch. In my opinion it's not as cute as a Pygmy Nuthatch, but more strikingly marked and colorful.
The whole painting is only 8x10".
A closer photo of the nuthatch. For those of you who may be unfamiliar with these 4.5" long birds, they hitch up and down tree trunks, probing the bark for insects. They also eat seeds, and store them under tree bark, and other crevasses to help them get through the harsh winter.
They move at a frenetic pace, and are confiding around people. Their simple call has a very nasal quality to it. They excavate nest cavities just like woodpeckers.
This is a close photo of the last painting that I forgot to include in the last post. This painting has good atmosphere, and fine detail that does'nt show well in photos. So far I have decided to keep it as is.

No comments: