Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Thursday, April 29, 2010

The Bear Progresses

Today was a shorter day spent paintings because I was running errands in Anchorage. I devoted most of my effort trying to recreate the texture of birch bark. There is still work to do because I am not at all content with the look of these trees, although they are not so bad.
At least I was able to start on the bear. I am trying to create an atmosphere that looks hazy, rather than foggy. To that end, there are still so many changes to make to these trees, then I fill in the bear, and finish the main tree. Last I'll build up a carpet of fallen leaves and branches etc. Will it be any good? The fact that it is a bear is a big plus because bear paintings sell better than any other subject. Here in Alaska, Chickadees, Sea Otters, and Puffins also sell faster than other paintings.

No comments: