Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Friday, May 28, 2010

Potter Marsh

Potter Marsh is a wonderful wetland just south of Anchorage. Although it is pretty much a barren snowfield in the winter, during the summer it is teeming with nesting waterfowl.
Amoung the regular, Mallards, Widgeons, Shovelers etc. were also these Ring-necked Ducks. Later on Potter Marsh will host some Trumpeter Swans.
The marsh is popular with wildlife photographers because it is a good place to photograph Arctic Terns.
This time I wanted to try to get decent shots of terns in flight. For me this is very difficult because the terns fly so erratically, and there is about a one second delay between when I press the shutter, and when the digital camera responds. By then, the bird has moved out of the frame, and out of focus.
This is the best photo I was able to get, out of many trys. I hope to get an opportunity to try it again soon.
This tern was screaming at a nearby dog.
Tree Swallow
Another Tree Swallow. After leaving Potter Marsh, we headed south to Portage and Whittier. Those places are known for their breathtaking scenery. I will post photos of those places soon.

No comments: