Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Monday, May 31, 2010

Spying on My Nieghbors

Tonight at about 10pm I stepped out onto my balcony to take in the fresh smells after a passing rainstorm. Right away I heard the sound of ripping vegetation. After a few seconds of looking, I spotted the source of the noise. It was a mama moose browsing on the newly emerged leaves in my nieghbor's yard.
She was a little shy but she did'nt run away, and stayed long enough for me to grab my camera.
I soon noticed two small calfs prancing around her legs.
Too bad these photos dont convey how truly massive she was. Easily taller than me at shoulder hieght, far larger than a horse. I hate to brag but Alaska has the world's largest moose.
The calfs are playful and full of energy. I worry about these two because I live within half a block of two busy streets. Hundreds of moose are killed on roads locally every year.
So I was spying on my (furry) nieghbors. I hope they keep coming to visit.

No comments: