Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Saturday, October 18, 2014

Last Painting, Next Painting,and Peruvian Beaches


This is what I have been working on for the last several weeks. It is finished for the time being. It is 11x14" and called, Fuzzy Friends. 
It has been a few years since I have painted wolves so yesterday and today I have been refining this 16x20" sketch. I intend to add a darkish forested background with deep snow in the foreground. If it all goes as planned, I will call it, Alpha Dogs. You can see by all of the smudges that I have been making many adjustments to get it to look right to my eyes.
To flesh out this post I will throw in some photos of my trip to Peru. All of these photos were taken around the small coastal town of Los Charcos.
Here is a bit of a gull identification challenge. What are these birds? The dark bird in the middle is only a pigeon and the other two are sub-adult Belcher's Gulls.
Two adult Belcher's Gulls, a Snowy Egret, and a Black-crowned Night Heron.
Another gull challenge. What are these? They certainly live up to their name, Gray Gulls.
What could these things be? Peruvian Thick-knees.
In my opinion, these are the coolest of all the world's tern species. Inca Terns. The area around Los Charcos was my favorite part of Peru. Better than Macchu Pichu, and better than the Amazon rain forest. Islas Ballestas, (where this photo was taken) is one of the world's great wonders, No one even knows about them.

1 comment:

John Holmes said...

Inca Terns are certainly "Way Cool" (as the youth of today might say. )