Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Friday, July 31, 2009

Paint By Numbers.

This is a photo of some Pintail, and Mallard hens, moulting their feathers at Potter Marsh, south of Anchorage. They are flightless at this point in late summer. I really love the complex, earth- toned pattern of the Pintail hen. It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but it's an interesting subject to paint for me.
Here is a lousy photo, but I wanted to use the grass in it.

The only sketching I needed for this painting, was the outlines of the duck's anatomy, drawn on a gray gessoboard.


I have laid down a plastic vegetable bag to use as a palette, and squeesed out my basic colors. Later I added some burnt sienna to the palette. I like to use plastic bags, because I can fold them over on top of the paint to keep it from drying out. That way I dont waste so much paint, and I can take a break for a while, and come back to where I left off.



The first coat of paint is applied to lay a foundation for some background water.

The water is more, or less finished.


What a mess. This is about the time in a painting when I just want to scrap it and start over.


I've started adding some grass.

Adding some light grass stalks.


The basic colors of the duck have been blocked in.


More refinements on the duck.


The duck is more, or less completed.


Playing with the grass some more.


Completed painting, Resting Pintail, 11x14"

A messy palette, the end of another job.
It's not the best painting I've ever done, unfortunately not the worst by a long shot.

No comments: