Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Monday, January 4, 2010

Two African Songbirds

Here are two more paintings I did in anticipation of my upcoming Africa trip.

This is a 10x8" painting of a Red Bishop. These are small seed eating birds that frequent moist grasslands throughout much of Africa. They are also popular cage birds in many countries. They have become established in Hawaii, and some other places as well.

The above painting is a 12x9" Cape Sugarbird. It is an endemic of the southern coast of South Africa. In other words, it only lives in the farthest south region of the African Continent. They survive almost entirely on the nectar of Protea Flowers, which are found along the coast around the cape.

3 comments:

tess stieben said...

Your birds are gorgeous. I started painting birds a few years back and it has brought such joy into my life especially the outings for reference material. Packing the picnic, bribing a willing driver with said picnic in fee of chauffeur service. Its such an adventure going out searching for the flash of wing that catches the eye. I enjoy capturing a bird I know nothing about then later scouring the bird books to identify and gain a wee bit of knowledge.

Colette Theriault said...

Thanks for joining my blog John. Those birds are wonderfuly rendered. Looking forward to see more of your work once you come back from your trip to Africa.

Alan Pulley said...

Just found your blog - love your art work! I do a little painting myself but find it hard to stay at it consistently. Keep up the great work!