Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Russian Jack and a New Painting

Whoever Russian Jack was, he managed to get a park named after him. Lately I have been riding my bicycle along the dappled bike paths that crisscross the park near my new home. It is so nice to glide amoung the trees and hear  sounds of the busy city recede into the distance.
Chester Creek, the same urban creek that feeds Westchester Lagoon, meanders through Russian Jack. There is a greenbelt with bike paths along much of Chester Creek. It also passes through my usual territory in the Christmas Bird Count. One day when I'm feeling ambitious, I'll try to ride all the way down to the coast.
We have been having some good sunshine lately, but the strong light can make photography more of a challenge, dealing with strong contrasts.
Devil's Club.
Red Squirrels like to announce their presense with a scolding trill.
Steller's Jays are also quick to scold visitors who intrude into their territory.
Robins will soon become scarce when most of them head south for the winter.
Black-capped Chickadees are abundant residents of the park, and everywhere else in the city.
This photo was included in an earlier blog post about Westchester Lagoon. I thought it would make a good subject for a painting.
Westchester Geese, 9x12" This painting is really more of a study for a future, more ambitious painting. Two quotes that I recently heard apply to this painting. "Inspiration is for amatuers". I certainly can't lay claim to much inspiration with this one. "Habit is more reliable than talent". Good work habits is a thing that has sustained me for most of my career. I get up in the morning and start painting more out of habit than any particular vision in mind. Once in a while something good comes from it, but mostly I wallow in mediocrity. The actual painting does look much better than the photo.

No comments: