Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Winter Blues

This is what it looks like out of my bedroom window at 11:00 am. The sun is still behind the mountains. Yesterday especially was downright cold with a wicked wind to augment the misery. Nevertheless I was out there with my camera trying to capture the atmosphere of a winter day.
From the field beside my apt. complex, I have a good view of St. Innocent Russian Orthodox Church and the Chugach Mountains for a backdrop. In winter the light is often tinted pink. It is called Alpenglow.
I seldom paint buildings, but someday I may paint this church.
There used to be a trailer park here. It looks so much nicer now.

This photo was not taken yesterday but the Bohemian Waxwings are out and about in the nieghborhood.

They seem to thrive in the frigid weather.
Russian Jack Park is a 15 minute walk from my place. The trails in the park are cherished by the local cross-country skiers, and plodders on foot like me.
The trails leads through a tunnel under a busy street. There are many such tunnels around town. I wish there were many more.
The cold of winter is not what really gets to me. It's the dim winter light on most days, and especially the shortness of the day. This photo was shot after sunset, at about 3;30pm. It is Eagle River Loop Road.
The light at the base of these trees is coming from a lamp post out of the frame.
To compensate for the short winter days, there are lamp posts along many of the trails so skiers and pedestrians can have better visibility. Some people even manage to ride bicycles in this stuff. Although I dont comprehend them, lots of people around here prefer the winter months. This photo was shot at 9:30am.

3 comments:

Kay Baughman said...

Your views are lovely--it would be almost worth the cold weather. Birds in snow are especially picturesque!

mainly mongoose (Lynda) said...

I cannot imagine how you cope with the short, gloomy days. It only takes a couple of overcast days for me to start feeling depressed!
Your photos are magical; that last one looks like it's straight out of Narnia.

john said...

Escaping the state for a month or two during winter helps make the rest of it bearable.