Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Gary's Photos, Mburo

Even before we passed through the entrance gate to Mburo Nat. Park, we started seeing Zebras. Since I saw so many Zebras in South Africa the year before I hardly paid any attention to them. Little did I know that the few Zebras we saw out of the park and just inside the park would be the only Zebras we would see on the entire trip.
These were Gary's first wild Zebras so he paid more attention to them, and got better photos than me.
These were just about the only Impalas we saw as well. I photographed this same doe with fawns, but Gary got a good close up.
I love this photo of a Topi on topi of a termite mound.
Striped Kingfisher was a new bird for all of us.
These small eagles were fairly common in open countryside inside the national parks.
Gary told me that he incorporated a few of my photographs into a program that he put on about Uganda. This photo is slightly tilted like the one I shot, so it might be my photo of Water Thick-knees on the shore of Lake Mburo.
I'm not sure if this is my photo, or Gary's photo of an African Finfoot. It's a difficult bird to find, except on Lake Mburo.
There is no doubt that Gary got this lucky shot of a White-backed Night Heron with it's throat pouch inflated just before it calls.
Fortune and a quick trigger finger enabled Gary to get a second lucky shot of this pair of WBN Herons together. This is another photo that makes me jealous. The boat was rocking, and these birds were hiding in dense vegetation. I could not get such fine photos. These birds are another species that are very difficult to find.
One of the world's most colorful birds. This Malachite Kingfisher perched on the side of a boat nearly the same color as the lake.
Another great shot of a great beauty.
The Wattled Lapwing is a large shorebird that strays far from the shore. Way cool.
There were some large Cape Buffalo in the park.
Ankore Cattle are pretty awsome for a domestic cow, but I was very disappointed to see hundreds of them roaming throughout the park. As I said before, herdsmen do not tolerate large predators. If I'm paying full price to visit a park, I expect it to be free of livestock. They say that one lion manages to hang on in the park, but how pathetic is that?
Once again we were on the road to the next reserve. Almost all of the roads in Uganda are unpaved, and foot traffic is far more common than vehicle traffic. It is difficult to drive more than about 20 mph.
People haul water for miles everyday. The country is in desperate need of basic infrastructure like wells, electricity, and plumbing.

No comments: