Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Saturday, December 21, 2013

Communique From the North Pole

The main thing that I like about Christmas is Christmas dinner at my nephew Dan's house. His wife Angie is a great cook and she knows exactly what I like. The main thing that I hate about Christmas is the harsh cold. It is merciless and goes on month after dreary month. I cannot get enough time off work to escape this Winter. I just endure.
Lately I have been shooting a few photos of the season, all places near my home.
The view from the field next door. It will soon be a thing of the past. New homes are being built, and the open spaces will soon be gone.
The beautiful domes on the  Orthodox church across the field.
Downtown Anchorage looks best from a distance. At night it is not a place that you want to be. Too many unruly drunkards.
The office where I work is tucked into a nice patch of forest far from downtown. 
No one has used the back steps of the office in quite a while.
A seed head of Cow Parsnip cradles some ice crystals.
Ice sculpted Polar Bears.
This Walrus pushes up through the ice.
Today I managed to put in a few hours of work on the current painting.  I am almost ready to start on the birds. I intend to put lots of vegetation on the right side of the painting after the birds are painted although I may add an imposing rock instead.
Merry Christmas to all.

1 comment:

Marc Calvo said...

When i look this freeced landscape of your country,i think to take a pair of skis or rackets,with a good shelther equipment and make excursions in the forest, petrified and silenced by this spatial cold,and look the clear sky in the night,even though dont ovserve much animals, must be good season for make a winter sports.You imagine in much villages and cities of Siberia the people shell his products in street markets in a 40 degrees velow zero!!.