Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Saturday, September 13, 2014

How Does this Happen?

Since finishing that Mule Deer painting I have been kicking around ideas for a new painting. Bohemian Waxwings are one of the most popular species of bird around these parts. They are difficult to find and shy during the Summer months but they are abundant and easily approached most Winters. I have many good reference photos of them. These birds have great potential to make a fine painting
I have started numerous paintings of waxwings but have completed only a few. Why? I do not know.
This 24x18" painting,'Waxwing Delight' is probably the best of them. Unfortunately it was painted on a bargain basement brand of canvas that has ripped several times so it cannot be sold.
Last week I gathered up some reference material and sketched out a new version of a waxwing painting on gessoboard. Too bad I do not have enough enthusiasm to paint it.
So I went back to the drawing board, (literally).
Next I came up with a half formed idea to paint  Sandhill Cranes at sunrise like the above photo. Of course I wanted to jazz it up somehow so I thought it might look good to put some geese in deep shadow in the foreground. The geese, being closer would need to be much larger than the cranes, and need to have a more substantial base upon which to stand. Then I pushed the cranes up closer to the top of the painting, lightened the top ground and added more land at the bottom.
I remembered this painting that I painted over in a moment of discouragement. I like the geese if not the setting so I decided to use a version of these geese in the foreground of the new painting.
Unfortunately it has been a very busy week and I am not finished with the painting. 
Try to make up an image  in your own mind about how a painting combining this painting and the crane photo above it might look. I am certain that your version will look nothing like mine. Yours will undoubtedly look much better.
Stay tuned for the next post to see how it works out. I'm kind of curious to find out how it will turn out myself.

1 comment:

John Holmes said...

Difficult to combine them when the cranes are so backlit, I would have said.

All the Waxwing works-in-progress look interesting.