Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Tuesday, October 25, 2016

Aleutians etc

This post is the last entry from Bart and Sandy's trip to Dutch Harbor and Unalaska. I must admit that I do not know which village this is.
A flock of gulls, probably Glaucous-winged or B. L. Kittiwakes.
Horned Puffins like this one, occupy a much smaller range than the commoner Tufted Puffin.
A pair of Common Murres.
A dark colored seabird takes wing.
There are a few possibilities as to its identity. Possibly a dark morph Northern Fulmar, or a Short-tailed, or Sooty Shearwater. If I was there to see its relative size or other subtle field marks, then maybe I would be more sure about what it was. Any Thoughts?
I am more confident that this bird is a Pomarine Jaeger (Skua).
Back on land is another Gray-crowned Rosy Finch.
Saying goodbye to the Aleutian chain, it is appropriate to see some eagles.
The long ferry ride back to Homer.
Back in Homer, Gary who lives in Homer, measures his shoe to a bear track.
A bull Moose on his property. In Alaska if you want a particular tree to survive being eaten by Moose, you have to protect it until it grows too big for the Moose.

2 comments:

John Holmes said...

A Shearwater rather than a Fulmar, But Sooty or Short-tailed I don't know....

john said...

I agree John. Fulmars have a more prominent tube nose. The jaeger caption says Pomarine, but I meant to say Parasitic. Thank you for your comments.