Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

A Day's Work

This morning I was back to my old tricks by re-working an old painting. It was one that I showed on this blog just a few days ago, the 11x14" Golden-crowned Sparrow. I'm sorry if your tired of seeing it.
This is the old version. I like it just fine, but few other people did. Many people commented that they did'nt like the background color because it was so flat, and monotonous.
All I did was change the color of the background in the upper part of the painting, and I added more stalks of grass in the background as well. At best, it is only marginally better than it was before. I dont think I ruined it, but the varnish now looks more uneven. That is what happens when you mess around with a completed painting.
I shot this photo last fall at Goose Creek. I want to use the birch trees, and foreground in a new painting.
This is my preliminary sketch of a Black Bear on a 16x20" gessoboard. I may, or may not even start this painting. Anyway, this is what occupied my afternoon. It took so long because I made numerous adjustments to the drawing.

No comments: