Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Friday, April 30, 2010

What a Mess

Today, like yesterday, I spent the bulk of my time trying to make the birch trees look right. Birch trees are a bit of a challenge because they have dark, vertical cracks in the bark, and contrasting, light, horizontal flakes of bark. I quickly blocked in the rest of the bear, then I broke for lunch.

After lunch, it was back to fighting with the Birch trees. I also added a few Highbush Cranberry bushes, with some Fireweed. To me the bear looks funky, and the Birch bark is still not right. Experience has taught me that once a painting gets away from me like this, it can't be saved, no matter how much effort I put into it. This is the point where I should just scrap it, and go on to something else. Since I foolishly put this much up on the blog, I'm obligated to give it some more effort. Maybe after the weekend I will get some renewed inspiration.

No comments: