Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Good Painting?

The Shapes of Winter, 12x24"
Inspiration comes when it comes, not when I want it to come. Too bad it does'nt come very often. When a painting is working, everything goes smoothly without a hitch. When I'm painting a stinker, it starts out wrong and fights me every step of the way. My instinct is to put in more effort, and force the painting to look right. That seldom works out.
I usually cant tell what looks good and what does'nt. I do know that this one came off without any problems, so it must be good. The actual colors are warmer than the photo indicates. Let's hope that this painting is the beginning of a long streak of inspired paintings.
If you read this Steve, this painting was inspired by the photo of a Bison on your Antelope Island post. I know there is no resemblance, but that's how inspiration comes about.

3 comments:

tess stieben said...

I just photographed some bison recently, too cool.

LluĂ­s Sogorb said...

You can feel the cold. Excellent work, John.
What continued inspiration!
Greetings

Erik van Elven said...

Well this one certainly has a strong abstract design going for it John, beautiful!