Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Saturday, December 20, 2014

Boreal Gold Por Fin

I got busy painting this week and put the finishing touches on this 12x16" Boreal Owl painting this afternoon.
I started out intending to makes this a Great Gray Owl painting in the same setting. Somehow it decided that it wanted to be a Boreal Owl instead. I hope that the bright Birch leaves do not detract too much from the owl. Let me know what you think.
I encountered no significant challenges with this painting. I wish they would all progress so smoothly.

3 comments:

John Holmes said...

I don't know; the Owl is side-lit, but perhaps the leaves are not.

But I'm not a painter ! Nice image overall, anyway.

john said...

Thank you for your comment John. I guess that the leaves do not show their light source well. The leaves that I used for reference were strongly side lit, but they glowed all over and I tried to portray that. I may eventually make some adjustments there.

Jeremy Pearse said...

Love this one! One of my favorite subjects and you did a great job bringing it to life. I'm glad that you didn't go with the Great-grey Owl - I think the Boreal Owl works so much better with the composition and size. Love the close-up of the head photo with the interplay of warm and cool colors.