Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Monday, May 24, 2010

Creatures of the Black Lagoon

Well not exactly The Black Lagoon, that's in the movies, I mean Westchester Lagoon. The day was too nice to stay indoors and work, so I went back to Westchester Lagoon in Anchorage.
There were interesting clouds in the sky, early in the morning, but they soon dissapated.
I only saw drake Shovelers. I assume the hens were sitting on nests.
The lagoon does look kind of black in this photo. This is a drake, Greater Scaup.
There were also no hen Widgeons they must have been incubating eggs as well. This is a drake American Widgeon.
Mallards are common as dirt, but they are elegant.
A bathing Lesser Yellowlegs.
Arctic Terns are usually not easy to photograph at Westchester. They are the definition of grace on the wing.
This tern posed for me so well that I was able to shoot about 50 photos before it disappeared.
A third view of the beautiful bird.
This was the first Belted Kingfisher that I have seen this year.

No comments: