Untamed Land

Untamed Land
Untamed Land

Friday, January 27, 2012

Owls and an Orca

I have to take a short break from my posts about South Africa to catch up on some happenings closer to home. This afternoon I learned about a Saw-whet Owl that was roosting in someone's yard near the Russian Orthodox Church nearby.
I got permissian to observe the owl from the comfort of the kind host's kitchen. Good thing,  because the outside temperature was -5f. This is the first Saw-whet that I have been able to photograph. It never reacted to the curious Red Squirrel.
This is actually only the second Saw-whet that I have seen, although I have heard them calling a number of times.
It never opened it's eyes more than this brief, one-eyed peek. I was very happy to be able to see and photograph such a cute little thing.
This is my latest painting of a Great Gray Owl, 8x10".
A detail of the painting. Right now there are about four Great Gray Owls being seen across town. I would like to go try for photos of them but it has been so blasted cold that I dont want to trudge around in the big freeze, looking for them.
This is my latest t-shirt design for Threadless. Go to, http://Threadless.com/sharedesign/397524/Orca_Shirt.

2 comments:

Gary Keimig said...

Great owl photos. A great opportunity to get these shots. Love your art work

tess stieben said...

Sweet little owl, I have yet to find one of these. Its nice to see the local birds as well as those on your wildlife world adventures.
To vote on the tshirts it looks l would have to sign in with a membership, is there another way to vote without being a member to that site?
hugs, and have a great day.